Sony’s New TV Emanates Sound Through the Screen Itself
Late in July Sony revealed its highly-anticipated BRAVIA OLED television (A1 series) in New Zealand as it began rolling out into stores.
By combining the superior picture quality of OLED with the 4K HDR Processor X1 Extreme, the A1 series offers the world’s very first in-screen sound system in a large screen TV. Taking advantage of the OLED’s backlight-less structure, Sony developed a new Acoustic Surface technology which can emanate sound directly from the screen itself. This allows for a perfect unification of picture and sound unattainable by conventional TVs. It produces a wide sound and image synchronisation even off to the sides.
The Acoustic Surface technology lends to the cutting-edge design of the A1 series by doing away with conventional speakers usually located around the TV. The result is a unique stand-less form factor, with no distraction from the picture.
Reviews of the X1 Extreme have been positive, mostly highlighting its ability to produce a lifelike picture with great texture, depth, colour, and contrast.
OLED’s eight million self-illuminating pixels provide the A1 series with a significantly enriched visual experience offering unprecedented blacks, authentic colour, fast paced motion and a wide viewing angle. The X1 Extreme precisely controls the tremendous number of pixels and extends the capability of OLED to deliver an exquisite 4K HDR picture.
Suggested retail price is $10,999.95 for the 65 inch and $7,499.95 for the 55 inch.
Specs of the A1
A1 Series (65” and 55” Class model) 4K HDR OLED TV
- Features OLED display. Eight million self-illuminating pixels brings a enriched visual experience with blacks, authentic colour, blur-less image and a free viewing angle.
- Features 4K HDR Processor X1 Extreme, providing 4K HDR viewing experience by incorporating three new technologies: Object-based HDR remaster, Super Bit Mapping 4K HDR and Dual database processing.
- Features vibrant, expanded colour with TRILUMINOS Display.
- Uses 4K X-Reality PRO to produce detail with Sony’s unique algorithm of reality creation database for any content, such as TV broadcasts, DVD, Blu-ray Disc, Internet video and digital photos.
- Android TV lets you explore movies, music, photos, games, search, apps and more. Voice Search to find content, ask questions and control your TV. With Chromecast built-in, you can send content from your smartphone or tablet to the TV.
- Sony’s exclusive Content Bar user interface allows you to comfortably browse content quickly without disrupting your TV viewing.
- HDR compatible to receive and process the new video standard signal with higher brightness, higher contrast and more vibrant colours via Internet video services, HDMI and USB port. Supports Dolby Vision HDR format.